We have a gem here, folks. Since it’s original conception, I’ve made this dish three times. Imagine a soup that offers hearty chunks of beef, marinated overnight in a homemade stock that is to die for, topped off with noodles, fresh cilantro and bok choy. I highly recommend recreating this recipe in your own home.
It’ll take time, but truly, the best recipes do.
For the Soup:
- 2-3 lb beef shanks
- 5 garlic cloves
- Fresh ginger
- 1 bunch scallions
- A plum tomato
- Chinese five spice powder
- Brown sugar
- Whole star anise pods
- Thai chilis
- Chili bean sauce
- Shaoxing, Chinese rice wine
- Soy sauce
- Chicken stock
- 10 cups water
- Baby bok choy or broccoli rabe
- Chinese egg noodles or wheat noodles
- Fresh cilantro
Spencer: “Tasted real good; more familiar than the first two dishes.”
Teresa: “Tasty! Fairly easy, though time consuming. Unique and flavorful spice blend.”
- Taiwan’s formal name is Republic of China
- The official language is Mandarin
- Taiwan is not a member of the UN, and it is the most populous non-UN state and has the largest economy of all non-UN members.
- 23.4 million people live in Taiwan, population density being 650 residents per sq. km.